Thursday, April 8, 2010

Institute of Research & Development - Stop Smoking Forever


Institute of Research & Development - Stop Smoking Forever

cassette released in 1989


This tape is supposed to be helpful in helping smokers kick the habit. Some guy at the beginning emphasizes that the decision is up to the smoker, but there are stories from about 8 former smokers about how they got into the habit and their attempts to quit. There are findings from medical research and psychological tips. There are also reports of the then growing non-smoker movement not wanting to no longer tolerate smokers.

I'm all for quitting smoking, but the production of this tape seems a bit shady. It sounds like there are the same three or four people giving the testimonies of several people. I'm convinced that the people on this tape are actors. They seem to sound like the "testimonials" given by actors in infomercials for various useless crappy products. But hey, whatever helps. It's notable that there is not any info about this Institute of Research & Development operating from Nashville, Tennessee (United States). I wonder if it's still around despite the organization trying to save costs by not paying too many people (assuming that the actors and others involved in production were paid). Overall, the impression is given that this Institute was attempting to cash in on folks desperately trying to kick the habit. However, there is still some interesting material on this tape. And the cover is kinda cool.

Tracklisting:

Side A


1. Stop Smoking Forever {40:10}


Side B


1. Stop Smoking Forever {39:38}

2 comments:

  1. I used to have a cassette from The American Cancer Society from which I sampled the phrase "Take off your shoes and sit in a comfortable chair..." and turned it into a tape-loop.
    Sadly, I threw the original tape out and the tape-loop is too worn out to sample with any degree of quality.
    I'll check this out, however.
    Thanks so much for your fascinating shares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're enjoying my shares.
    Hope you find something from this tape you can use to sample.

    ReplyDelete