Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Electric Moog Orchestra - Music from Star Wars


The Electric Moog Orchestra - Music from Star Wars

LP released in 1977


A couple of years ago, I posted this LP for a different online project. Now I thought that this would be a good place for a repost of this.


This one's a cash-in record, but a fun one with Moogs being used to play the soundtrack music of Star Wars. I think I enjoy this more than the original John Williams brass-oriented soundtrack. I was thrilled to find a copy of this record in a local thrift store as (I'm sure some of you already know) I like to collect moog/vintage synth records no matter how cheesy they are. The liner notes on the back mention that "we think you will find this album a stunning breakthrough in electronic music." I don't think so. But this album is an interesting retro kitsch artifact where the music is at least competently performed and a lot of fun to listen to.



Tracklisting:

Side A


1. Star Wars Main Title {3:57}


2. Princess Leia's Theme {3:41}


3. Imperial Attack {4:12}


Side B


1. Ben's Death and Tie Fighter Attack {4:21}


2. Cantina Band {2:23}


3. The Throne Room and End Title {4:22}

4 comments:

  1. This and the Close Encounters are supremely awesome. These "Switched On"-era renditions were made for redoing sci-fi soundtracks.

    Why John Williams didn't use Moogs in the first place is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you an interesting treatment--enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what it would sound like if Star Wars was Tron. I would watch the living crap outta that. "I find your lack of parity bits disturbing...."

    ReplyDelete