
George Burns - George Burns Sings
I think that there's an unwritten rule that you have to include a celebrity who attempts singing when you do one of these wacky/weird/oddball/novelty type of sites. The celebrity is supposed to be someone who not only specializes in an area of entertainment other than music, but who has achieved some kind of success in that area. For example, I'm sure you already know about actors William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy who thought for some reason they also had musical talent where they recorded and released a few albums for public consumption. Sometimes the celebrities' attempts are downright entertaining despite the lack of talent (e.g. Shatner and Nimoy). Actually it seems that the less talent there is, the more entertaining the results are.
Before I get back to posting the usual assortment of preachers, hypnotists, self-improvement gurus and other visionaries, here's my celebrity contribution, Mr. George Burns. He is most famous for the George Burns and Gracie Allen Show on radio and TV. That was around before my time and no reruns of that show ever appeared in my area. So to me, he is most famous as God in the movie Oh God! and its two sequels.

From the liner notes by producer Lewis Merenstein:
After all the kidding about George Burns' singing, I was surprised when Neil Bogart, head of Buddah Records asked me to produce an album with George. Neil and Scott Shukat, head of the William Morris office, felt an album by the multitalented Burns, would be fantastic.
Off to California to produce the album. With me, Larry Fallon, arranger extraordinaire.
POOLSIDE
George: Here is a script I worked up with my writers-
let's run through it.
Me: ???????????
Larry: ???????????
George: What do you think?
Me: No! no! no!!!!
Larry: ??????????
Me: George, let's just do an album with you singing! You've got a wonderful vocal quality, warm feeling, Larry is a contemporary arranger-composer, I'll select the tunes, etc. etc.
George: ???????
Larry: ?????????
George: I have never finished singing a song in my life! and, I've never sung a ballad.
Me: You can do it!
George: How about a little comedy between the tunes?
Me: Let's do the album first!!!
As the great pro would, George breezed through the album, and sang every note of the way - he finished every song, and if anyone thinks he can't sing a ballad, listen to AIN'T MISBEHAVIN'. After MR. BO JANGLES, the musicians applauded him. The album came out so great, we decided not to fit the comedy bits in!
Fallon's tasty arrangements set the many moods of this album; the lightness of WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS, 1941, YOU MADE ME LOVE YOU medley, the George Burns favorites; I'LL BUY THE RING and GRIZZLEY BEAR, and the very sad, but meaningful OLD FOLKS.
George Burns is a great talent, a wonderful man, it was an honor and a pleasure to produce this album. I am sure, as the last song in the album states: "The sun will always shine on his street."
Tracklisting: (link will be back soon)
Side A
1. In the Beginning {0:38}
2. With a Little Help from My Friends {2:19}
3. Mr. Bo Jangles {4:28}
4. Medley {4:32}
(a) King of the Road; (b) 59th Street Bridge Song; (c) I Kissed Her on the Back Porch; (d) Satisfaction
5. Ain't Misbehavin' {3:15}
6. Your Mother Should Know/I'll Buy the Ring {2:44}
Side B
1. Medley {2:48}
(a) It All Depends on You; (b) You Made Me Love You
2. 1941 {2:21}
3. Grizzley Bear {1:41}
4. Old Folks {5:04}
5. The Sun Shines on My Street {2:01}
No comments:
Post a Comment