
Stag Party in London Vol. 2
I was a surprised to spot a copy of this record here in Oklahoma. As you can see, the words "FOR ADULTS ONLY" and a picture of a naked woman are on the cover. Not only was I surprised to find a copy here in the state, but surprised to find a copy at the public library's annual sale where many children were roaming around and could have seen this cover. However, none of the children showed any interest in records when I was there. Personally I find that sad, but am relieved that I didn't have to hear any complaints from the prudes (whom I believe still account for a majority of the populace here). The library would have been forced to scrutinize and further examine the contents of the records. Then again, this copy may have accidentally been overlooked and found its way to the racks.
According to the liner notes, this collection of songs was improvised by rugby players during their showers after games. Soldiers and laborers have also contributed some of the lyrics to these songs. This LP was recorded at a men's party. The liner notes do not mention that it was a stag party, yet I do assume that it was a stag party. The songs are quite memorable. The day before yesterday, I caught myself singing one of these songs in the shower. I won't mention which one it was, as I feel embarassed admitting it. The songs are of a risque nature where lust and um, having relations are emphasized. Okay, they do get very raunchy. They have quite a large amount of swear words. If this record was to be reissued, it would come with a large "parental advisory explicit lyrics" sticker attached to it. All but one of the songs have a group of grown men singing in unison. The songs are renditions of folk songs where the vocals are accompanied by a piano, accordion and drums although the lyrics are obviously altered.
Kids, if you come across this post, I'll point out again that this is FOR ADULTS ONLY. I say this so that I won't corrupt your innocent minds and that your parents won't get pissed at me. You're better off with something more family-friendly like R. Kelly or Kid Rock. I think that's what you kids still listen to as I haven't kept up with popular music.
Actually, the artists I mentioned really suck so if you want to listen to this and impress your friends that you have these raunchy songs, go right ahead. Chances are the music on this album is better than what you've been listening to so far. Plus, you either already know about this sexual stuff or will hear about it soon anyway.
In case anyone wants to know, I do not have Vol. 1.
Side 1
1. The Sexual Life of the Camel {1:54}
2. The Ball of Kerrymuir {2:54}
3. Rim Ram Roo {2:34}
4. Dinah {2:02}
5. The Mayor of Bayswater {2:07}
6. Whoredean School {3:01}
Side 2
1. Roll Me Over {3:26}
2. Cats on the Rooftops {3:19}
3. Doggies Meeting {2:38}
4. Sweet Violets {3:09}
5. Knobby Hall {2:18}
6. Chicago {1:59}
i once accidentally ended up on a bus fulla rugby fans going from dover to london, and they sang loudly and drunkenly the whole way. It was one of the rare times I just stared at my shoes and kept my big fucking mouth shut. It was kinda creepy.
ReplyDeleteThat's an experience I would like to have in my life. Did they sing the same songs on the album or anything similar?
ReplyDeleteI was so disoriented and they were so drunk, i couldnt honestly tell you...The sound was the same, but no lyrical content sunk in!
ReplyDeleteI know you don't have Vol. 1, what about Vol. 3?
ReplyDeleteGreat stuff, gracias!
Migwell
As of 4/9/09, the whole first volume, as individual mp3s, can be found at
ReplyDeletehttp://www.csufresno.edu/folklore/drinkingsongs/html/sounds/stag-party-in-london.htm
FRESNO! LOL
Anyone got volume 4 :)
ReplyDeleteTop Blog...just listening to the old sales album classy shit fella...downloading Houdini as we speak...intrigued is an understatement-cheers for sharing-Jason