
Willard Cantelon - LSD: Battle for the Mind
*Special thanks for aethr for also sharing this one in the comments section.
I could sit all day and stare at that cover.
Oh, but I have a post to write. Willard Cantelon is another good moral man like W. Cleon Skousen who wants to save us all from the evils of LSD. Willard is not exactly a dynamic speaker (in other words, nowhere as exciting as the cover). He's not as much fun to listen to as say Jack Van Impe or Jimmy Swaggart, but the material in his lecture is more than interesting enough to keep one's attention even if it's from a Christian perspective. Although, I don't quite come away being scared out of my wits when Cantelon describes the gruesome details of the effects of LSD. I think that Van Impe would do a lot better job at that. Interestingly, I've noticed that snippets of this album appear on playlists on psychedelic music radio shows.
Ah, screw it, I'm done writing. I want to go back to looking at the cover. Anyone want to engage in a staring contest with the dude on the cover?

Tracklisting: (link will be back soon)
1. LSD: Battle for the Mind entire album {34:20}
UPDATE: Post fixed. Originally this was posted with two sides, but what was originally posted as side 1 is the entire album and side 2 was actually the Skousen album. My apologies.
You must already have found the sounds of the american doomsday cult vol.14.
ReplyDeleteA ref is here: http://invisiblerecordarchive.blogspot.com/2007/02/god-hates-rock.html
A classic, sampled many times.
wow, i turn my back for 2 seconds and you post these drug doosies! thanks...i remember seeing some corny anti drug movie in 5th grade and taking note to myself, that judging from what they said, that i absolutely had to try lsd and heroin...
ReplyDeleteaethr,
ReplyDeleteActually, I didn't know about that American Doomsday Cults post until you mentioned it. Thanks.
Unfortunately, the link on that post is dead. I guess that Invisible Record Archive haven't got around to reupping it yet.
Did you get a chance to download it? If you did, could you please upload it.
kevinass,
ReplyDeleteI've wondered why all or at least most of those anti-drug films are corny.
I've never been quite brave enough to want to try drugs. Maybe it was the Nancy Reagan spearheaded "Just Say No" campaign that scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.
Hi Grey,
ReplyDeleteHere's a direct link from my Firefox awesome bar: http://rapidshare.com/files/25871749/NA_Doomsday_Cults.zip.html
Really wonderful stuff, you will be amazed. Was this sampled by Negativland?
Enjoy.
i think what is appealing (read corny) about drug related films and recordings, is that the cautionary ones are really the only ones that exist, and the people in drug "culture" (oh brother) were inherently at odds with those who were cautioning, SO it all came off a little silly, cuz it became obvious that non-users were doing most all of the cautioning...uninformed and condescending, I suppose. With hindsight, to me anyway, the "marginalized" drug users seem more silly and huffy, and the "establishement"types seem kinda cute and well meaning....but still corny as hell.....
ReplyDeleteThank you very much, aethr, for Amer. Doomsday Cults v14. So far, I've only heard the first track, but it's defintely amazing. Weird just the way I like it.
ReplyDeleteOn the first track, a little over 11 minutes in, there's a part where a man calls for condemnation of all of the rock and pop stars of the day, "Michael Jackson", "Prince", "Bruce Springsteen", "Tina Turner", "David Bowie", (Bowie pronounced "Boooie"), etc. Negativland sampled this part on the track "Michael Jackson" on the album "Escape from Noise".
I wish I still had my copy of Escape from Noise. That's a classic. Several years ago, some douchebag broke in my car and stole my copy along with some of my other CDs.
Yes, it's a very cool record, the other side is strange as well, vocals turning into drone music.. brilliant.
ReplyDeleteGlad I could enlighten your day ;)
I once lost almost my whole record and tape collection because of a flooding.. now, thanks to p2p and music blogs like these, mutant-sounds, the thing on the doorstep, etc. am able to recreate the unique pieces I had and more!
thanks
Yoiks! Did he really fit 39 minutes on one side of an LP???
ReplyDeleteHey, the "side two" is really the W. Cleon Skousen record. I didn't think it was possible to fit 39 minutes onto one LP side.
ReplyDeleteDamn. I wasn't paying attention when I wrote this post. I noticed that about side two, but I wasn't able to get around to fixing this post over the weekend.
ReplyDeleteCan you clarify this a little? I can't verify as I removed the copy I had from my local drive here.
ReplyDeleteYou're saying the supposed side 2 of 'battle' is the same as the 'instant insanity' record?
Or is this another Skousen? Thanks for correcting errors on this p2p downloaded mess.
You're saying the supposed side 2 of 'battle' is the same as the 'instant insanity' record?
ReplyDeleteYes.
I think I know what happened. I found out that "LSD: Battle for the Mind" was released on CD and Skousen's "Instant Insanity Drugs" was included on the same CD. I believe that this is a bootleg release by the way.
The copy that you got was this particular release which would of course explain why track 2 is the Skousen album.
Sorry to hear about your record and tape losses in a flooding. Thank goodness blogs like the ones you mentioned are around. If there's anything you need or want, don't hestitate to let me know.
The Meat Beetles thank you for this and all the other wonderful oddio goodies you have posted here. You have provided the Sloptops with a gold mine of source material. To hear what we do with this kind of stuff visit us at:
ReplyDeletehttp://meatbetles.blogspot.com
We will link to you shortly. Please feel free to do the same, or not, as you see fit.
You're welcome. I'm looking forward to see what you do with the source material from here.
ReplyDeleteI'm also going to check out the stuff you've already made available.
grey, been looking for this 4 a long time. its great for sampling. however, i ran into this while looking for the "tommy is dead" speech cause someone told me it was part of BFM. please advise !!!!
ReplyDeletegreetings from central mexico