Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sir Christopher Scott - More Switched on Bacharach


Sir Christopher Scott - More Switched on Bacharach

LP released in 1973

Words and music by Burt Bacharach and Hal David

Arranged and conducted by Dave Mullaney
Production co-ordinator: Harry Meyerson

I stumbled onto a copy of this at one of my favorite local antique stores. When I saw the title, I wasn't even aware there was a "Switched on Bacharach" album much less a "More Switched on Bacharach" album until the time I laid both my eyes and hands on a copy. Unfortunately, the original Switched on Bacharach was nowhere to be found onsite. But that is okay for now, I can make due with this one. This is an album of Burt Bacharach and Hal David tunes played with a Moog. (question: If Hal David was Bacharach's partner and seemed to have done much of the work writing the songs, how come isn't this called More Switched on Bacharach and David?) The music is mainly Moog with human wordless vocals, drums, and guitars making brief appearances. The music is performed capably by someone named Sir Christopher Scott who I suppose fancies himself as knighted or maybe he did get knighted for playing cheesy Moog music. How cool would that be if that really happened?

The liner notes say this about the first Bacharach album: Last time out, Sir Chris switched on his equipment and Bacharach's melodies, and the result was one of the brightest albums of popular music to land on the scene in many a moon. A full program of Bacharach sparkled and crackled with wit and musical surprises in that album.

As for this album: Sir Christopher digs into his plugged-in bag for some electro-brilliance on some of the great Mr. B's finest hits. ... What he does is magic, but it's always music. And you just want to let the listening to it go on and on and on.

I'll be darned if this guy is not already knighted in real life.


Tracklisting:

Side One


1. Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head {2:42}


2. Wishin' and Hopin' {3:05}

3. (There's) Always Something There to Remind Me {3:30}


4. (They Long to Be) Close to You {3:24}


5. Everybody's Out of Town {2:50}


Side Two


1. Paper Mache {3:09}


2. A Message to Michael {2:38}

3. I'll Never Fall in Love Again {2:59}


4. Reach Out for Me {2:44}


5. Promises, Promises {1:56}


6. Trains and Boats and Planes {2:55}

4 comments:

  1. got any more satanism?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never have told anyone this until now. I swear I heard some subliminal evil occultic Satanic messages in the Rutgers Glee Club LP. Messages included mooning coeds on campus, cheating on exams, and to um do things on the Banks of the Raritan that shall not be spoken of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. barack obama's 'yes we can' backwards is 'thank you satan' so anything is possible

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, "yes we can" backwards would be more like "Nackew seh-ee" or thereabouts.
    I can teach you how to sing the chorus of "Yellow Submarine" backwards if you like.

    ReplyDelete