
Charley Drew - An Evening with Charley Drew, His Piano and His Party Songs
*special thanks to KL from NYC for this treat
Charley Drew - vocals, piano, lyrics
Apparently, there's not much info about Charley Drew out there. KL mentioned that there are no liner notes on this album or any other information. The back cover is blank. We do know that he was the resident piano player/entertainer at the Taft Hotel in New York City in the 1940s.
This 10" record is a collection of racy double-entendre songs meant to be played at parties. These are the type of entertaining and humorous songs that are hardly being performed anymore. I wish I had more information about Charley. Meanwhile, enjoy these tunes and hopefully we may start a revival of cleverly-worded double-entendre songs being played at parties. If swing music could be revived which took place a decade ago, why not this music.
Tracklisting:
Side A
1. Blushing Bride {3:11}
2. Bell Bottom Trousers {2:21}
3. The Girls I've Lost & Lost {2:27}
4. Robert the Roue from Reading, PA {2:23}
Side B
1. Gracie is Socially Secure {3:14}
2. Lousy Louisa {3:09}
3. They Didn't Give the Bride Away {3:09}
4. Fleet's in Today {2:16}
Yeah! Lets have a party!
ReplyDelete--Bill
I have been tasked with finding out who owns the rights to these Charley Drew songs. High level copyright searches have come up negative. Any recommendations for continuing my search would be greatly appreciated. Joestpierre@gmail.com
ReplyDelete