Friday, December 23, 2011

Irma Glen - A Bridge to Higher Consciousness


Irma Glen - A Bridge to Higher Consciousness

released on LP


About over a month ago, I picked up several records at a new (to me) local flea market. I was browsing
at one of the record vendors who has priced most of the records at $1 each. Most of these $1 records were definitely not in mint condition or even very good condition as probably expected. I came upon this one. Her name was familiar to me as I recall downloading her new age ecology record several years ago. It's been a long while since I've heard it. It didn't seem to make much of an impression on me. So, I wasn't sure about getting this one I've found in the flea market although the title sounds impressive.
I looked on the back cover and noticed a few blurbs on the top. One of those blurbs was by one of my favorite people,
Dr. Joseph Murphy, who is quoted as saying "I have never before heard such music coming from an organ." After reading that quote and thinking "wow", right then I needed this record. It is some serene meditative organ music. I'm sure this will enable people to reach that higher consciousness.

I was surprised that there is not much info about Irma Glen on the Internet. Here's a bit of info about Irma Glen from the liner notes:


Irma Glen contributes to her New-Age Music Therapy all the skill and musicianship of one of America's top-flight organist-composers, combined with the insight of an experienced minister. She holds doctorates in both music and religion, and has recently returned from a world tour during which she spoke and played in such far flung places as Tokyo, Jerusalem, and Pondicherry, India.


Dr. Glen began her musical career at the age of fourteen when she made her concert debut as a young pianist. At age fifteen she was America's youngest orchestra leader, so widely known that she was engaged for five weeks at the Teatro Empire in Buenos Aires. Next, Irma and her mother toured Europe. Back in Chicago, she became feature organist at a large theatre and from this stepped up to a position as staff organist for N.B.C. [National Broadcasting Company] During the next twelve years, Irma Glen appeared in as many as twenty three broadcasts a week and was regarded by her fans as the nation's top woman organist.


In her programs of Prayer-Music Therapy, Irma Glen has reached a peak in an outstanding career. The programs have been tested and acclaimed by vast audiences, and the music is now being offered for the first time on this recording in response to popular demand. The record consists entirely of Irma Glen's original compositions, and presents a new approach to the Power of Prayer ... through Music.


The liner notes also say that there is a companion record available called "Music-Prayer Therapy" which is a spoken-word mediation. I'll post it here whenever I can find it.


Tracklisting:

Side 1


1. Man of God {2:10}


2. Contemplation {2:15}


3. Communion {2:12}


4. Isis {2:39}


5. Covenant {3:15}


6. Devic Joy {3:59}


7. Rose of God {2:33}


Side 2


1. Meditation {4:17}


2. Dionysian Hymn {4:40}


3. So is He {2:11}


4. Constancy {3:57}


5. Listening {3:31}

4 comments:

  1. this is a great album. Thanks for this sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apna Showroom Handcrafted Brass Kalash with Floral Engraving** adds charm and spirituality to your rituals. Traditionally used to store Gangajal or turmeric water during pooja ceremonies, this kalash symbolizes purity and abundance. Made from corrosion-resistant brass with elegant floral detailing. Ideal for religious festivals like Navratri, Karwa Chauth, orApna Showroom Socks for Baby Boy and Girls, 6 to 12months(Multicolour) - Pack of 6 Pair Designer - Fancy - Attractive
    Apna Showroom Baby Boys and Girl's Cotton Panties Bloomer Combo Multicolour, 6-12 Months for 1 Years 12 Pieces Attractive
    Apna Showroom Baby's Cotton Panties/Bloomers/Underwear 12 Pieces (3-4 Years)
    wedding pujas. Perfect for home temples and gifting. Its divine aura enhances the spiritual environment. Complete your puja thali with this sacred and artistically designed kalash.

    ReplyDelete