Stu Phillips - Jud [soundtrack]
released on LP in 1971 (no date given on LP, but I found the release year of the film online)
I found a copy of this promo LP in some thrift store a few weeks ago. I've never heard of the film, but I'm familiar with Stu Phillips with having heard his music over the years thanks to various generous sharity blogs and sharity sites. He's composed music for biker flicks and that Buck Rogers TV show that was on the air seemingly centuries ago among other film and TV projects. Still, I was a bit hesitant at first whether I should purchase this copy. I didn't know anything about the quality of the music on this album. Since the asking price was $1.20, I figured it would be worth taking a chance on. I'm glad I did obtain this record. I find the all instrumental side 2 to be awesome (I think that's what I kind of expected and hoped for anyway). (Yeah, it's wild and groovy at times.) Side 1 has rock/pop songs with performers I've never heard of. If you're familiar with early 70s rock/pop, that's what it sounds like, music of the period. I enjoy the Crow song (track 4) the most from side 1, but I couldn't really get into the rest of the songs.
From what I read on the web, Jud is about a soldier who returns home from serving in Vietnam and tries to get his life back together. Instead, he ends up in some difficult situations and his life goes downhill from there. I read some review that said that it had potential to have been a really good movie, but turned out to be more of an exploitation film instead. I lost the link to that review so you'll have to take my word for it at the moment. Anyways, it sounds like a flick I want to check out.
Tracklisting:
Side 1
1. One Too Many Mornings [with John Hartford] {2:58}
2. Solitary Sanctuary [with American Breed] {1:59}
3. Comin' Down Easy [with Mason Proffit] {2:25}
4. Something In Your Blood [with Crow] {2:34}
5. Come to Me, Anytime [with Barbara Robison] {3:01}
Side 2
1. Solitary Sanctuary {1:57}
2. Jud Escapes {2:15}
3. Bill Flips {2:02}
4. Retrospection {1:49}
5. Comin' Back {3:52}
is that, like, where " legend of billie jack" comes from?
ReplyDeleteI had this LP years ago, and don't know whatever happened to it. Since I remember little about it, thanks for posting it so I can refresh my memory!
ReplyDeleteCool! Looking forward the Bill Flips...
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
BTW, have you got a PO box where I may send you something?
ReplyDeleteRevRev, I don't have a PO box. Don't worry about sending me anything through the mail.
ReplyDeleteHowever, if you want to send me something digitally or through e-mail, we could talk.
It was a copy of a book from 1919 that I have reissued... Thought you may like it.
ReplyDeletehttp://emcphd.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/unmasking-fear-is-back-at-last/
hi, i know it's off topic here, but i don't know where to write you, mr Grey Calx, just to let you know that we love your blog and we have made a review of it in our italian web magazine... herehttp://www.bonsai.tv/magazine/tools/a-basement-of-curiosities-una-soffitta-piena-di-musica/
ReplyDeleteMiss you! Hope all is well.
ReplyDeletePeace,
Rev. Eliot
My, my, I have missed quite a bit here in the basement.
ReplyDeleteI'd recently read about some collectors looking for this movie and the soundtrack LP -- it must be worth some bucks.
I've never seen the movie, but it's supposedly very depressing with unlikable characters. Copies were issued on videocassette at one time.
Mason Proffit, one of the bands featured, was a fairly influential band in its day. Two of the main musical forces from that group, John and Terry Talbot, went into the Christian music scene (but very different directions). Anyway, thanks for such an enjoyable blog and the music!
ReplyDeleteI kept this S/T for years just for the NON- Stu Phillips side. The John Hartford is exclusive to this; don't recall the others Mason Profit may be , too. Have to check my files.
ReplyDeleteApna Showroom Traditional Brass Kalash for Puja Ghar** is a symbol of purity and devotion. Crafted from premium brass, it is ideal for holding Gangajal during havans, pujas, and rituals. Durable, rust-free, and easy to clean, it adds an authentic spiritual vibe to your home temple. Perfect for Diwali, Navratri, or wedding ceremonies. IAPNA SHOWROOM Bra for Women Combo Pack of 6 - Cup Size 36(B) Non-Wired Multicolor Everyday Cotton Bra 36B
ReplyDeleteAPNA SHOWROOM Bra for Women Combo Pack of 6 - Cup Size 32(B) Non-Wired Multicolor Everyday Cotton Bra 32B
APNA SHOWROOM Bra for Women Combo Pack of 6 - Cup Size 34(B) Non-Wired Multicolor Everyday Cotton Bra 34B
ts antique shine and traditional design make it a sacred collectible. A thoughtful gift for elders and devotees. Keep your rituals sacred with this brass kalash.