Thursday, May 13, 2010

Gertrude Behanna - God Isn't Dead


Gertrude Behanna - God Isn't Dead

released on LP

In the area where I live, a copy of this recording can often be found in thrift stores. I almost see as many copies of this as Barbara Streisand, Mantovani, or those Firestone Christmas albums (all guaranteed to make one's thrift store browsing experiences depressing). The copies of God Isn't Dead are usually beat-up or worn. I wasn't sure if I really wanted this anyway.

Earlier in the year at the annual library sale, I spotted a copy in very good condition and finally gave in. I bought a copy. The cover was in very good condition, however the condition of the LP itself was only in good condition.

Gertrude Behanna was among the small percentage of humans in the world who was wealthy because she was fortunate to be born to wealthy parents. That does not mean she was happy throughout her life of glamour, not having to do any actual work, and having a near unlimited amount of money to spend. She lived a life of misery. She was an alcoholic and drug addict who had three marriages that were disastrous. Something tells me her misery was mostly caused by Gertrude herself although her family situation was not exactly wonderful. At one point in her life, Gertrude was not feeling well physically and mentally. Her physician recommended that Gertrude seek psychiatric help. Instead, Gertrude decided to seek out Jesus.

Apparently, it worked out for her according to the liner notes: At age 53 she discovered that God was not dead ... that through the miracle of Christ's divine love and power ... drugs, liquor and despair itself could be conquered. Her health regained, she has spent the past 15 years touring the country, telling her story, giving hope and encouragement to thousands in all walks of life.


Gertrude wrote an autobiography, The Late Liz, that was supposedly a best-seller plus she recorded this record of confessions and testimony.

Tracklisting:


Side 1


1. God Isn't Dead {29:18}


Side 2


1. God Isn't Dead continued {29:33}

3 comments:

  1. I recently spotted a gospel record at a Salvation Army store that showed some grinning Christian men standing by a tombstone that read God Is Dead, making the title God is Dead is Dead.
    I foolishly didn't buy it, sure that the music inside wasn't very good (yet I'll snap up a Braillettes or Merrill Womach album in a heartbeat).
    When I eventually caved and decided I had to have it, it was nowhere to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too funny, dude. I have a hefty collection of these kinds of records, as well, but I've been trying to trim the fat as of late, since I keep on having to move (records are heavy). Here's one I was going to do on my blog, but figured I'd be too much of a meanie and changed my mind. Basically, it's a group of people explaining how they became born-again X-Tians. Some of them had tough lives. Most are folks who never developed consciousness or a personality in the first place and flaked out the first time their lives hit a road bump. I'm sure you'll get a kick out of this:

    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2YTOWFB0

    Keep it up with the weirdo Christian shit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, mrpoopy. Although I kind of feel sorry for these people on the tape, I still got some amusement out of it.
    I plan on moving sometime within the next year or two. It will be difficult deciding which records, tapes, CDs, and books to keep and which ones to purge yet the time will come when I have to choose. I'm not looking forward to that, but I may have too much stuff right now.

    ReplyDelete