Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Marty Gold - Wired for Sound


Marty Gold - Wired for Sound

released on LP in 1956

recorded at Webster Hall, New York City, July 9, 11, and 12, 1956

conducted by Marty Gold; assistant conductor: Sid Ramin

I received this LP from a friend who was purging stuff before she moved. She must have kept this for many years as she did not even remember having this LP or how she acquired it. She is not familiar with it and she is not really interested in it. Lucky for her, I was interested and willing to take the LP as at the time (early 2000s) I just started exploring this kind of music from often visiting first-generation audio sharity sites such as Basic Hip Digital Oddio, Bellybongo, Your Pal Doug, Raymondo's Dance-O-Rama, and a few others whose names I can't recall at the moment.

Marty Gold was prolific in the realm of mid-20th century "space age pop". Gold recorded and released a lot of albums, some being hi-fi or stereo action type albums where then-new stereo recording technology was used incorporating all of an orchestra in some way. Not only were regular instruments used (saxophone, guitar, drums, trombones) used, unusual instruments were also used (on this album these include the tibia, kinura, and the English post horn). Wired for Sound is one of those hi-fi stereo or "new orthophonic" albums where reverberation is really the main instrument for these unique arrangements of musical standards.


Tracklisting:

Side 1


1. Reflections in the Water {2:20}


2. Ti-Pi-Tin {1:48}


3. Blues in the Night {3:32}


4. In the Still of the Night {2:22}


5. Makin' Whoopee {3:44}


6. Lonely Guitar {2:47}


Side 2


1. Stella by Starlight {3:15}


2. You're the Top {1:50}


3. Whistle While You Work {1:27}


4. A Foggy Day {2:54}


5. Mood Indigo {3:01}


6. A Blues Serenade {2:14}

3 comments:

  1. Do you have or know who might have records by "Paul Harvey" & "Gertrude Behanna"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I do not have anything by Paul Harvey or Gertrude Behanna nor do I know anyone that has anything by them. I'll try and see if I can track something down from either one or both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a note of thanks for posting this, as I am on the road, and only have this on vinyl. This was the first record of it's kind which I bought at a record convention for 5 dollars. It subsequently had a huge impact on my aesthetic and I have enjoyed many magical moments listening to this. A real gem of a record.

    ReplyDelete