Brian Ruud - From a Bum Trip to... "The Trip Beyond"
Brian Ruud is a preacher from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada who grew up as a son of a preacher. Brian Ruud had a rebellious streak. On this LP loaded with references to drug experiences, Brian tells his story of where he came from and how he came to be the person he is today. He was basically a juvenille delinquent during most of his childhood and teenage years who was involved in robbery, violence, drug dealing and, of course, drug use. His father also had a penchant for corporal punishment. Brian was on what is called a "bum trip." He lost a lost of weight from drug abuse and felt a lot of self-hatred. Brian ended up in Prince Albert Penitentiary, what is reputed to be the San Quentin of Canadian prisons. Brian was put in solitary confinement and there he says he discovered "the trip beyond", an experience that changed his life.
One gets the impression that this LP was recorded in front of a live audience with the sounds of applause and laughter appearing. I find it odd that the audience occasionally starts laughing at inappropriate moments in Brian's lecture or rather the sounds of laughter are cued at inappropriate moments. I confess that I did laugh at a couple of Brian's "jokes", both of them about acts of theft. It sounds to me that there was no live audience present when Brian spoke, just sounds generated in a studio where Brian recorded this album.
Brian Ruud is still preaching, warning people about the dangers of drugs. He also still somewhat has his blonde afro. Besides preaching, Brian Ruud is a motivational speaker and consultant according to his website.The album is entertaining and even inspiring enough that listeners will want to go from a bum trip to the trip beyond.
Tracklisting:
Side One
1. From a Bum Trip... side one {19:56}
Side Two
1. From a Bum Trip... side two {18:34}
The dude sure has got original style (visual)(face)(hair)(etc)
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love this record. I have it on vinyl and it's hilarious as all get-out.
ReplyDeleteI used to be all messed up on drugs ... now I'm all messed up on Jesus ...
ReplyDeletethis guys an idiot, I didnt enjoy this record not one of the better drug pieces. all drugs are bad except marijuana, well some drugs are ok if used in moderation like allergy medicine to help you sleep or maybe valiums but other ones unless used for medical reasons suck. pot is the only good illegal drug
ReplyDeleteThis LP is worth it just for the hair :)
ReplyDeleteHi help a fellow hippie out here, I want more lsd and druggie albums. I;ll be your best friend
ReplyDeleteI remember seeing this guy when I was young and he really made an impression on me. So a couple of decades later, I was excited to find this album and had it as a part of my record collection for years until I sold off my collection. This one must have slipped through the cracks because I had forgotten all about until the other day and was going to ask the friend I sold my Christian albums to if he had it. Then I stumble across your blog and it turns out you have it. Bless you and thank you for posting this album, you made my day!
ReplyDeleteBob Haldeman
http://z6.invisionfree.com/musicmakespictures