
The Building Blocks of Successful TV-Service Salesmanship
Today on the 17th of February in the year 2009, all television stations here in the United States were all supposed to permanently cease broadcasting with an analog signal and switch to broadcasting in digital. The date has been pushed back to June 12 by Congress because not everyone is ready to make the switch. The government has ran out of funds to provide for the coupons to purchase converter boxes. I should be lucky that I received my $40 coupon earlier last year to buy a converter box which I did. I say this because in the area where I live, nearly all of the local stations are switching today to digital whether people like it or not.
I guess the TV stations are saying in effect to the public, 'if you are not ready to watch our programming in beautiful digital quality, tough luck.' It seems that the local TV stations have a rather callous attitude towards their viewing public. What could possibly happen is that people really start to realize that most of the content aired on the local stations is mostly shit (infomercials, judge shows, mindless talk shows, news that is not really news, just sensationalistic pap, not to mention the junk known as advertisements that interrupt the programs or shows). Therefore, people would start to watch less television which results in declining ratings for the stations as well as lost revenue because hardly anyone is watching the ads. What I've said sounds overly optimistic, but there is a good chance that the scenario depicted takes place although I would place a low percentage on that actually happening. Most people here are just too addicted to the tube and if they can't get any coupons they'll just use the money that is set aside for food, the house payment, or bills and get a converter box or a digital TV so they won't miss out on "Desperate Housewives" and they want to watch their favorite newsanchor/TV personality. Also, it seems that most of the culture people here have nowadays comes from commercials.
Yes, I know this post is about a record that offers lessons for TV repair people on how to provide customer service. I'm sure that the lessons dispensed on this LP would apply today, but only used for the lucky elite people that have the equipment to watch the all-digital broadcasted TV.

Tracklisting: (link will be back soon)
Side A
1. Your Store {7:25}
2. Handling Store Customers {4:36}
3. Advertising and You {4:13}
Side B
1. Telephone Techniques {3:37}
2. Home Service Calls {7:17}
3. Additional Tips {3:23}
The stations here in my state (WV)chose to go ahead and make the switch today as originally planned, even though our Senator Jay Rockefeller wanted the delay put in place. We have large rural areas where people do still use antennas, plus the fact we have the largest elderly population per capita and they don't want this...my parents included. They already have the proper TVs, but don't give a hoot about digital and HD and all.
ReplyDeleteDo not attempt to adjust your set. THEY control the vertical...THEY control the horizontal...
Hello.
ReplyDeleteWe love the stuff you post and are using pieces of it here and there in our stuff. We also linked you.
http://stashcasket.blogspot.com/
Keep up the good work.