
Dickie Goodman - Mr. Jaws and Other Fables
Released in 1975
Well here's that LP I promised yesterday. I was able to post it sooner than I expected. All 10 of these cuts are comedy bits or skits that are mostly fake news reports where the responses to interviews are snippets from hit songs back in the day (i.e. during when these bits were recorded). Fortunately, in keeping with the holiday/Christmas season, "Santa and the Satellite" happens to be on this LP.
I think the first sampling of music I've ever heard was in the "Flying Saucer" track played on Dr. Demento. Is this kind of recording as is on this record still being done today? I'm out of the loop on this and it's been about 13 years since I last listened to a Dr. Demento show because my tastes have evolved to the point where I can't listen to hack novelty music and stale comedy routines for more than thirty minutes.
I may not be back with a new post until next year, so merry holidays to all. Also, I like to wish for everyone to increase their wealth, gain exciting love lives, lose weight, be happier, exercise more, read good literature for 20 minutes a day, get whiter teeth, do some networking to make more friends and establish yourself with people much more important than you in the community, get a promotion by showing initiative and doing whatever it takes to increase the profit margin at work (or just simply kissing the butts of your bosses and management), and overall doing whatever is needed for self-improvement so that the new year of 2009 will be a year of joy, fulfillment and prosperity.

Tracklisting:
Side 1
1. Mr. Jaws {2:04}
2. Energy Crisis {1:42}
3. Superfly Meets Shaft {2:30}
4. The Touchables {1:57}
5. The Touchables in Brooklyn {1:50}
Side 2
1. Flying Saucer, Part 1 {2:12}
2. Flying Saucer, Part 2 {1:45}
3. Santa and the Satellite, Part 1 {1:37}
4. Santa and the Satellite, Part 2 {1:21}
5. Flying Saucer the Second {2:10}
Merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for all the hard work you do on the basement. I can't speak for anyone else, but I am a big fan.
A little more info on Dickie Goodman... http://jabartlett.wordpress.com/2008/12/09/breakin-in/
ReplyDeletethis brought back am radio memories! thanks!
ReplyDeleteI have the RG Hardy record. I just need to locate it cause I don't burn much vinyl to MP3. Where did you hear about this record? I'm at www.atomicteevee.com
ReplyDeleteI have the RG Hardy record. I just need to locate it cause I don't burn much vinyl to MP3. Where did you hear about this record? I'm at www.atomicteevee.com
ReplyDeleteOh, and THANK YOU!!! for posting Dickie Goodman!
ReplyDeleteI have the RG Hardy record. I just need to locate it cause I don't burn much vinyl to MP3. Where did you hear about this record? I'm at www.atomicteevee.com
ReplyDeleteThat would be great if you can provide RG Hardy. I'm trying to remember where I first heard about RG Hardy's record. I may have first seen this on a list of religious records on a website when I was trying to find out more about other preachers' LPs like Jimmy Swaggart's. The title of his record is interesting and after visiting Hardy's website, I know that I wanted this record.
To Baker,
ReplyDeleteI know this is late, but I hope you had a great Christmas. I'm glad to know you're enjoying my work here.
----------------------------------
To anon,
Thanks for the link about Goodman. That helped answer my question.
----------------------------------
To agemo and the other anon,
My pleasure.
Ha!
ReplyDeleteA fellow Oklahoma city person! Nice to see someone from OKC made good!
At any rate, I knew there was gold in them thar ol Paris Flea markets and such. . .
Thanks for the Dicky Goodman. I had been looking for a copy of Energy Crisis 1973 for some time (It came out when I was in 8th grade, and we had just fled OKC for Del City becasue of, well, you remember the "Finger plan" of integration.
I'll have to peruse my stacks and see what I can find for your valued archives. Till then, you can just call me. . .
Paul Troon
I got this album when it first came out, and still listen to it today. It was funny then and funny now. One of the best comedy albums ever released. To be able to create a comedy routine with clips from 100's of songs is not something just anyone can do. Love it, love it, love it!
ReplyDelete