Dr. Joseph Murphy - Developing a Wonderful Personality/Communicating with the Subconscious
A while back, I found a couple of records by this guy named Dr. Joseph Murphy. There are not any liner notes on the packaging (i.e. no information). However, I was sold on the titles for these records. Upon listening to this record, this guy comes across as a combination of NLP (neuro-linguistic programming) self-help guru and preacher. Whether you like it or not, you will feel like you've developed a wonderful personality after listening. I'm sure the other side is self-explanatory. Yes, the divine one upstairs wants to help you know that you have positive attributes so therefore you should realize that you need a postive attitude to develop that wonderful personality that you were born with. Dr. Murphy sounds controversial as he is saying that He is not only the creator of mankind and this world, he is also the self-improvement guru of mankind rather than the usual view of judge, jury and executioner of mankind who are all a bunch of born sinners.
I went to do background research on Dr. Murphy (1898-1981) and I quickly found his bio. He made quite a lot of recordings and wrote a lot of books as I thought he would have done. However, I was surprised when I read his background as he has an academic background in studying Eastern religions. He was even a research fellow at the University of India. He has a Ph.D although there is no mention where he earned his Ph.D or the subject(s) he studied to earn his Ph.D. He was an expert on mysticism and "mind dynamics."
Dr. Murphy was the director and minister of the Church of Divine Science in Los Angeles for 28 years. The Church of Divine Science is a religious group that is a part of the New Thought movement. New Thought basically consists of metaphysical beliefs that promote positive thinking, the law of attraction, healing, life force, creative visualization and personal power according to that top info resource Wikipedia. Also whoever contributed the entry for "New Thought Movement" in Wikipedia says that New Thought "promotes the ideas that 'Infinite Intelligence' or 'God' is ubiquitous, spirit is the totality of real things, true human selfhood is divine, divine thought is a force for good, all sickness originates in the mind, and 'right thinking' has a healing effect." Knowing the background and context of Dr. Murphy's affiliations, the material on this LP starts to make a lot of sense especially when you are in your subconscious. This LP is another one I'll be playing during my hypnopaedia sessions when I go to bed.

Tracklisting:
Side 1
1. Developing a Wonderful Personality {18:58}
Side 2
1. Communicating with the Subconscious {19:38}
Thanks for that! I wonder where you unearth these treasures...!
ReplyDeleteDD
Another great post! This one immediately found it's way into the latest ZenArcade mix. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteiZen
Megaupload is blocking free users!
ReplyDeleteThis is hard to believe, but I am always looking for ways to market my blog. Yet, I want to discover ways to market my blog without spamming other blogs' comment sections.
ReplyDelete---------
DD,
Hi. I find these treasures at different places such as thrift stores, flea markets, antique stores, friends and relatives, even the mythological record stores. I even traded a bottle of rum for a few records with some homeless guy. Okay, I made that up, but that sounds really cool and I would love to do that before I eventually move on to that eternal resting place.
----------
iZen,
Hi. I am looking forward to listening to your latest mix featuring Dr. Murphy.
---------
to anonymous (January 24, 2010, 2:11 PM),
I believe you live in a country where free access to Megaupload is limited. I'll try to reupload it on another host when I have a working computer again. [My laptop computer is not working and may be dead. I'll be buying another laptop this week. Right now, as far as this blog is concerned, I can only post comments on a library computer.]
Bummer about the computer...someday computers will make all this easier ; ) I had the same experience a while back with a full system failure. Hopefully you'll be back soon...better, stronger, faster. When your up and running the Dr. Murphy sample is in the beginning of "Floating Upright in a Broken Head." A mix I did for Tonny van de Weert. He can be found at:
ReplyDeletehttp://tvdw.podomatic.com/
and
http://sinister-echoes-and-exotic-realms.blogspot.com/
For a more festive experience try some of the other ZenArcade mixes.
I'm looking forward to more treasures popping out of the basement. Thanks for all the hard work in helping to support all our habits.
until then...
iZen
iZen,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed "Floating Upright in a Broken Head." It was a festive and trippy experience. Dr. Murphy was a good choice to set the mood. I'm definitely trying your other mixes.
I wrote a post about my computer problems in my other blog. I didn't really feel like repeating myself in this blog.
http://closetcurios2.blogspot.com/2010/01/technical-difficulties.html
I fixed my problem by getting another computer. You are right. Computers will make all this easier ;) (new computers that is). The hard drive on my old computer was about to crash and something in my system somehow became corrupt as Windows won't run.
Since my new computer is faster, stronger, and better, I'll return faster, stronger, and hopefully better.
Upon further reflection and at the prompting of a friend, I realize my attempt at humor in one of my comments above was done in poor taste. I was thinking more of bums or winos and I ended up making an uneccessary stereotypical crack about the homeless. Actually, I was not thinking much at the time. Homelessness is something generally I hope does not happen to anyone. I am retracting my comment about wanting to trade records for alcohol with homeless people. My apologies for the lack of tact displayed. (Yes, I know a lack of tact is the norm around here, but that particular attempt at humor should not have been posted.)
ReplyDeletereup please
ReplyDeleteNice post
ReplyDelete