The Moog Machine - Switched-On Rock
I found this LP at an antique store several years ago. I was really thrilled with the find as I was hunting for any ol 1960s or 1970s Moog or other synth LPs, hoping to nab at least a few no matter how cheesy or absurd they are. Recently, I came upon this in my collection when I was going through my LP collection to pick which LPs I wanted to purge. No, this did not go in the purge pile. It has been years since I heard it and decided to give this another spin. At the same time this LP was spun, it was ripped to my hard drive.
Basically, this LP is a collection of covers of hit songs from the late 1960s from the likes of The Rolling Stones, The Zombies, The Fifth Dimension, The Beatles, etc. The instruments used are only a Moog (as you can figure out from the title) and real drums. Of course, these covers are more fun to listen to than the originals. Producer Norman Dolph, who wrote the liner notes, wants to emphasize that "the music is human music, and, most important, it is music, not Moog effects" and "this album is supposed to be a chuckle." It certainly is and it rocks.
Tracklisting:
Side 1
1. Spinning Wheel {3:17}
2. Jumpin' Jack Flash {3:15}
3. The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy) {2:38}
4. Get Back {2:36}
5. Yummy Yummy Yummy {2:24}
Side 2
1. The Weight {2:21}
2. Time of the Season {3:41}
3. Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In {3:09}
4. You Keep Me Hangin' On {2:23}
5. Hey Jude {3:43}
Excellent! I don't what it is, but I love all of these cheesy Moog albums....especially this one. Many thanks!
ReplyDeleteHave this on vinyl as well. Bought it new years ago...the liner notes also mention one other non-moog instrument, and it's in the song: Jumpin' Jack Flash...I believe it's a violin...right at the end of the track.
ReplyDeleteGlad to grab your cleaned up version.
RadioWizard
far out man, I really dig this man, I mean like this is totally groovy man, outasite baby, its my bag dude, I can really get it on in this scene. totally my bag
ReplyDeletegreat versions !!! As weird as possible. I love it. Thanks.
ReplyDelete