Wednesday, August 19, 2009

101 Strings - The Sounds of Love


101 Strings - The Sounds of Love

I do not think I need to explain 101 Strings to my regular visitors who are likely also regular visitors to other sharity blogs posting old loungy/easy listening music and/or similar to the stuff I usually post. Just in case, I'll briefly explain 101 Strings. It is made up of various orchestras hired for cheap to record mood or easy listening music which are mostly covers of hit tunes. An engineer named Dick L. Miller came up with the idea for the 101 Strings budget albums to release on his Somerset label. In 1964, Miller sold the catalog and licence to the Alshire label which continued to be prolific in releasing 101 Strings product. 101 Strings released somewhere around 200 albums. If you dig around in thrift stores, flea markets, library sales, garage sales, etc. chances are great that you'll see at least one or two 101 Strings LPs in the piles although spotting one of the few 101 Strings LPs worth having (e.g. Astro Sounds from Beyond the Year 2000, Sounds of Today, even the LP in this post, etc.) is slim.


The music on The Sounds of Love is really not that interesting. It is the usual easy listening style with monotonous strings. However, what makes The Sounds of Love fun to listen to are the vocals. A woman named Bebe Bardon contributes moans to a few of the songs. I assume that she is the person on the front and back covers and in the cheesecake centerfold-style fold out. Some guy named Joe Adams contributes vocals to a few other songs. I guess the best way to explain his style is if you enjoy William Shatner, you'll enjoy Joe Adams.


Another 101 Strings album featuring Bebe Bardon called The Exotic Sounds of Love was released a few years later. If anyone can provide this or the 7" I Remember/Whiplash (two songs from that album), I will be appreciative.




Voice sounds by Bebe Bardon on Side One - tracks 1 and 3 and Side Two - track 1
Dialogue by Joe Adams on Side One - tracks 2 and 4 and Side Two - tracks 2 and 4


Tracklisting:  (link will be back soon)

Side One


1. Love at First Sight {3:01}


2. Wonderful Seasons of Love {2:50}


3. I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good {3:20}


4. The Sounds of Silence {3:48}


5. In Love Again {2:23}


Side Two


1. Love is Blue {2:29}


2. This Guy's in Love With You {3:40}


3. Acapulco Affair {2:20}


4. Yesterday {4:28}


5. South Seas Romance {2:44}

10 comments:

  1. This album is highly recommended to all
    Hopefully your rip will be cleaner than one found in blogland from some years back
    Many thanks
    I have The Exotic Sounds of Love albeit a bit click/pop but quite listenable if wanted still
    Let me know
    Whiplash track btw was put on end of Astro 2000 album [at least the cd reissue] if I remember correctly
    That should be very easy to find for dl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Astro 2000 tracklist

    1. Flameout
    2. Re-Entry to Mog
    3. Space Odyssey
    4. Astral Freakout
    5. Orbit Fantasy
    6. Barrier X-69
    7. Disappointed Love With a Desensitized Robot
    8. Where Were You in 1982
    9. Trippin' on Lunar 07
    10. Bad Trip Back to '69
    11. Karma Sitar [*]
    12. Whiplash [*]
    13. Instant Nirvana [*]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again
    FYI track 4 The Sounds of Silence is corrupt
    I dl twice, repaired archive etc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about what happened with track 4. Apparently files still end up somehow getting corrupted when they're uploaded to Mediafire. Here is track 4:

    http://www.zshare.net/download/64413881b77bcc2e/

    Also, I reuploaded this album to Zshare. I know it's more reliable.

    I do remember that "Whiplash" was included on the CD reissue, but I've downloaded the LP version of "Astro Sounds..." a few years ago. I may try to find it again on the net and hopefully get an upgrade in quality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Reza, I would like to have your copy of The Exotic Sounds of Love. I don't mind a bit of click/pop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for re up of trk 4 , sorry so long been away for weekend just uploading now

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope you enjoy

    http://www.mediafire.com/?y2iaumjd3nn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for Sounds Of Love (that one downloaded OK), and thanks to Reza for Exotic Sounds even though tracks 5 & 6 (I Remember, and Instant Nirvana) are broken. At least I'll get to hear part of it. These LPs don't seem to show up very often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a sucker for any version of This Guy's In Love With You, and the version on this record takes the cake! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete